Industrial Design (ID)
An Industrial Design is the ornamental or aesthetic aspect of a useful article, which must appeal to the sense of sight and may consist of the shape and/or pattern and/or colour of article.
Essential requirements for registration of Design:
A design should:
• Be new or original
• Not be disclosed to the public anywhere in India or in any other country by publication in tangible form or by use or in any other way prior to the filing date (or priority date, as the same may be)
• Significantly distinguishable from known design or a combination of known designs
• Not comprise or contain scandalous or obscene matter
• Note be a mere mechanical contrivance
• Be applied to an article and should appeal to the eye
• Not be contrary to public order or morality
The registration of a design confers upon the registered proprietor 'Copyright' in the design for the period of registration (15 years -renewal).